The following resources can help schools comply with federal regulations for verifying students’ Free Application for Federal Student Aid information. Check this page often, as USA Funds® will post new information and resources as they become available.
If you have questions about verification for USA Funds’ policy experts, submit your questions to USA Funds Ask PolicySM and receive an answer generally within a day.
Tax return and Tax Return Transcript comparisons
Verification worksheets and suggested text
- Verification recordings and materials in the archive of USA Funds University webcasts.
- Register for USA Funds University workshops and webcasts.
- Federal Student Aid Conference presentations, 2011:
Questions and answers
Federal Register and Final Rules
- Verification requirements for 2012-2013, Federal Register, July 13, 2011.
- Program integrity Final Rules, published Oct. 29, 2010. PDF pages 124-128.
ED Dear Colleague Letters
- GEN-13-25: Supreme Court Ruling on the Defense of Marriage Act and the Implications for the Title IV Student Financial Assistance Programs.
- GEN-12-07: Acceptable Documentation for Verification.
- GEN-11-13: 2012-2013 Award Year: FAFSA Information to be Verified, and Acceptable Documentation.
- GEN-11-03: Enhancements to the FAFSA-IRS Data Retrieval Process.
Federal Student Aid Handbook
Internal Revenue Service