If you have rehabilitated — or are in the process of rehabilitating — your federal student loans, the following free resources can help you stay on track to successful repayment of your loans:
- Manage Your Money, from Mapping Your Future. Offers links to a variety of resources for setting up a budget, using credit cards wisely, balancing your checkbook and repaying your student loans.
- Resources for Past-Due Loans and Loans in Default. If you encounter problems repaying your rehabilitated loans, these pages offer advice for resolving your payment issues.
- USA Funds Loan SolutionsSM. You also can establish an account and log in to review your account status and take action to address your payment issues.
Consumer Credit Counseling
The following websites can help you get a handle on how to manage your debt.
Credit Card Debt
- Credit Card Calculators, from Bankrate.com. Calculate credit card repayment, interest and terms.
- Student Credit Card Debt, from Sallie Mae. Summarizes results of research into credit card use by and indebtedness among college students.
Use the following websites to check your credit report.
- Salary.com. Offers access to annual salary ranges, job descriptions and job requirements for common entry-level or advanced careers by region of the country.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook, from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor. A nationally recognized source of career information designed to provide assistance to individuals making decisions about their future work lives. Revised every two years, the handbook describes what workers do on the job, working conditions, training and education needed, earnings, and expected job prospects in a wide range of occupations.
The following websites provide information on jobs that are currently available in your area and related salaries:
Other useful job-search and career exploration websites, include the following:
- Careers, from The Wall Street Journal. An online index of articles on career-related topics.
- Job Hunter’s Bible.com. The companion site to the book What Color Is Your Parachute?
- The Riley Guide. One of the oldest and most respected job-related Internet sites.
- MSN Careers. Offers a wealth of practical advice about careers.
Student Loan Repayment
- Student Loan Repayment Calculator, from USA Funds. Offers estimates of monthly payments, total interest and repayment terms for the various repayment options available to federal student loan borrowers.
- Student Loan Help, from USA Funds. Offers advice for managing student loans at each stage of the loan life cycle.
- Repaying Your Loans, from the U.S. Department of Education. Describes options for repaying your federal student loans.